Monday, March 10, 2008

Vegetarian in New York

Before it closed the wonderful Zen Palate in Union Square was my favorite spot when I felt like vegetarian. They have other locations: http://www.zenpalate.com , but the closing made me look out for others.

I have found two. 'Snice is a West Village spot at 45 8th Avenue at West 4th. It is very casual. One orders at the register and they bring it to you. I am not a vegetarian, but I really enjoy any food that is made well. I had a truly great salad with avocado dressing, and a friend had a vegi grilled sandwich. Major bonus: free internet at large common tables. If you don't have your laptop, there are tables reserved for eating only.

Another great choice, which is more in the tradition of Zen Palate is the more formal, yet comfy, Gobo. The food here was just excellent. I just missed the lunch menu by a few minutes. The dinner menu is slightly pricier than you might expect for vegetarian, but everything that we ordered was very good (also, dinners on either side of us like everything they ordered as well). The atmosphere borders on fine dining, but casual enough, and cozy enough, that a spontaneous "what is that you ordered?",  doesn't feel out of place. www.goborestaurant.com 

No comments: